A melting pot of history, art and culture. The town, of Umbrian origin, was a lively Roman municipium.
Here, Titus Maccius Plautus
, the greatest Latin playwright, was born in 254-250 B.C.
Even after the fall of the Roman Empire, Sarsina regained importance as Diocesi seat, religious pilgrimage and history and theatre keens destination.
The memories of the extraordinary Roman settlement can be seen in the National Archaeological Museum
, one of the most important in northern Italy.
The Arena Plautina
, placed at the foot of the medieval village of Calbano, welcomes every year in the months of July and August, the prestigious Plautus Festival
, with its rich program of theatre performances, mainly taken from the repertoire of Ancient Drama, staged by the most important national theatre companies.
PLACES TO SEE
- Town Hall: tel. 0547 94901 - www.comune.sarsina.fc.it; www.sarsina.info
- Plautus Festival: www.plautusfestival.it
- National Archaeological Museum: tel. 0547 94641 - www.archeobo.arti.beniculturali.it; www.comune.sarsina.fc.it/museoarch/museo.htm
- Cathedral of St. Vicinio: tel. 0547 94818 - www.basilicadisanvicinio.it
- The Route of St. Vicinio: www.camminodisanvicinio.it
- Where to eat or stay: www.comune.sarsina.fc.it/servizi/ospitalita.htm
- Cathedral of St. Vicinio (X century), with three naves solemn and austere interior. Here you can receive the traditional blessing by the application of the "Chain of St. Vicinio" (iron collar that the age-old tradition dates back to the Holy)
- National Archaeological Museum, with Roman finds and monuments of the nearby necropolis of Pian di Bezzo and the town centre, including the imposing mausoleum of Rufus and the the so-called "Triumph of Dionysus" mosaic
- Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, at the Bishop's Palace
- Mausoleum of Obulacco
- House of Plautus
- Temple of Cesio Sabino
- Remains of the ancient Forum
- The “torricini” (towers)
- Monument to Plautus
GASTRONOMY AND WINES: SMELLS AND TASTES
- Medieval village of Calbano
- "Route of St. Vicinio": way of over three hundred miles, clearly marked, along the ridges of Savio river's valley.
- Park of “Marmitte dei Giganti” (Giants’ Kettles), along Molinello stream and Legaccio drain, at the exit of Sarsina core, in direction of Bagno di Romagna: singular fluvial erosion case of Romagna
- Lake and pine forest of Quarto
- In mountain bike, "Lost Trails": ring routes on the dirt roads of the surrounding hills and mountains
The typical product of the area, so as to make it a festival, it is the Easter Loaf: typical dessert made with eggs, flour, spices, baking powder and raisins, on sale in Sarsina’s bakeries.
FAIRS, FESTIVALS, EVENTS
- SARSINA - 2nd Saturday in July: Roman Festival SARSINA - The two Sundays before Easter: Festival of the Easter Loaf
- Ranchio - 3rd Sunday in April: Sagra della bistecca alla fiorentina of Romagna and Bread Festival
- Ranchio - 2nd Saturday in July: The Rustida
- SARSINA - July and August: Plautus Festival
- QUARTO – Mid-August: Festival at the lake
- SARSINA - 28th August: Feast of St. Vicinio
- QUARTO - 2nd Sunday in September: Biolake - Festival of biological and the ecology
- RANCHIO - 2nd Sunday in October: Chestnut Festival
- PIEVE DI RIVOSCHIO - 3rd Sunday in October: Chestnut Festival