ROCCA SAN CASCIANO
Built around the year 1000, Rocca San Casciano
has had an important role in the valley of Montone-Acquacheta
. Its heyday was between 1838 and 1923 when we assigned to the town the role of capital of the "Romagna - Toscana"
. Appointed seat of the Tribunal, it was enriched of numerous buildings and palaces, also becoming fruitful trade centre. In 1923 it returned, like most of the other towns of the Romagna "Fiorentina", under the administration of the Province of Forlì. Located on the SS 67 Forlì-Florence, it is still today point of reference in the middle and upper valley of Montone-Acquacheta, active trade, craft and agricultural centre. In Rocca San Casciano we have the Administrative Office of the Union of Municipalities of Romagna Forlivese, which replaces the Mountain Community of Forlivese Appennines.
PLACES TO SEE
- Town Hall: Piazza Tassinari, 15 - 47017, tel. 0543 960124
- Union of Municipalities of Romagna Forlivese - Administrative Offices - Communications and Protocol: Piazza Garibaldi, 56 - 47017, tel. 0543 950141
- Tourist Association Pro Loco of Rocca San Casciano: Via Saffi, 6 - 47017, tel. 340 7161588
- Piazza Garibaldi: It has a unique triangular perimeter, a clear sign of the influence of Tuscany, and it is surrounded by low and very characteristic arcades with stone columns forged with scooper. Here, between '700 and 800 the silk markets took place. The square is surrounded by six-seventeenth century buildings belonged to noble families of Rocca San Casciano and ancient inns;
- Palazzo Pretorio (which dates back to the year 1350, you can only admire the facade because it is a private residence) and the Civic Tower (with clock of 1500 and bell);
- Ponte Vecchio, of 1600, with two arches, from which you can admire the "Rocca San Casciano on the river";
- Church of St. Maria delle Lacrime, where are preserved: Madonna in tears, painted terracotta bas-relief dating from the beginning of the second decade of the 500, a wooden crucifix of the XV century and a marble baptismal font dated 1450;
- Church of the Intercession, in which we can find: stone bas-relief depicting Donnino and Ellero Saints, painting realized by G. Stradano in 1564, a “round” terracotta piece attributed to Andrea della Robbia’s school and a wooden crucifix of the XV century of Tuscan school.
- Walk through the Public Park C.A. Cappelli and the riverbed
GASTRONOMY AND WINES: SMELLS AND TASTES
- The Castellaccio, 500 m from the town: remains of the ancient fortress;
- S. Donnino in Soglio, three kilometers from the town, in Strada S. Zeno: ancient Benedictine Abbey of 1100 located in a rural and panoramic site (480 m above sea level);
- Castle of Montecerro (year 1068); the house and the wood of Guna;
- Cycling: Rocca San Casciano is placed in an extraordinary crossroads for training tourist cyclists: 26 Km from the Passo del Muraglione; in direction of Galeata we face the hill of Centoforche and the Forche Mount; before Dovadola there is a detour to Mount Trebbio; finally, a direct road leads over Predappio’s hills.
Typical restaurants and taverns offer tastings of the delicious cuisine of Rocca San Casciano.
FAIRS, FESTIVALS, EVENTS
- Festa dei Falò (Bonfire Feast), challenges and competitions between villages, with huge bonfires on the riverbed: April.
- Rocca Estate, music, culture, games, and sports events for an extraordinary summer in the hills: June, July and August.
- Feast of St. Cassiano, patron of the town: 13 th August
- Feast of Our Lady: 8 th September
- Autumn Markets and Flavours, festival to rediscover the ancient flavors and colors of Romagna-Toscana: November.
- Festivals at the end of the year, lights, markets, "Ciocco" of Christmas, New Year's Day in the square, Epiphany fires: December-January