The area of Meldola
, before the Roman domination, was a meeting place for Umbrian, Gallic and even Etruscan populations.
Meldola is located at the entrance of the Bidente’s Valley
: just downstream of its Ponte dei Veneziani
, that the Bidente river
, born from ridge spurs of the Appennino, changes its name in Ronco
is today a very active and industrialized centre, thanks to the contiguity of developing areas of Romagna plain
PLACES TO SEE
- Town Hall: tel. 0543 499411
- Pro Loco: tel. 0543 490001
- G.E.N.M. (Gruppo Entomologico Naturalistico Meldolese), Piazza Orsini 12: tel. 0338 7492760
- The main square, dedicated to Felice Orsini, with his native house (brick façade), Loggiato Aldobrandini (double loggia of 1609) and the Town Hall;
- The massive fortress of the eleventh century, with elegant balconies and courtyard, under restoration;
- Cappella del Crocifisso dell’ex-ospedale: Gothic style (dating from 1417), with decorated apse;
- The Ponte dei Veneziani, dates back to 1503, during the brief rule of Venice;
- The restored and charming Teatro Dragoni, a jewel of the first half of the last century, with only 300 seats, for drama and operetta seasons lovers.
- Walking or mountain-bike tour to Castelnuovo’s tower’s ruins (already present in 915) which, with its beautiful wood, dominates the entrance of the river Voltre;
- Bike tour in the Scardavilla’s wood, regional nature reserve;
- The village of Teodorano, Castrum Thodorani, at 10 Km, on a hilltop enclosed within the walls as it was centuries ago; the area between Valdinoce and Pieve di Rivoschio, fascinating wild area;
- Cycling: the municipal area is crossed by the "Nove Colli" tour.