Since ancient times Mercato Saraceno
is remembered as the place of markets; situated in a strategic crossroad in the middle of the Valle del Savio
. From the Onesti
’s family, then the town passed to the archbishops of Ravenna
, who held it until the early years of the nineteenth century. The area was a historically important centre for sulfur and gypsum extraction, although farming, a still lively sector, has always prevailed.
The historic centre of Mercato Saraceno
is in close symbiosis with its river: it is organized into three terraces, in a daring loop characterized by the spectacular deep cliff: a natural and town planning spectacle.
PLACES TO SEE
- Town Hall: Piazza Mazzini 50, tel. 0547 699711
- Culture - Social Services – Sport Office, tel. 0547 699722
- Pro Loco: Via Garibaldi 11
- Parish of Monte Sorbo: in a charming serenity context, 7 kilometers from the town centre, difficult to date, however, very ancient; in the masonry you can see sculptural fragments of the sixth, eighth and ninth centuries.
- Palazzo Dolcini: Art Nouveau style work of art of 1924, with soft colors, it is now seat of the theatre and the multi-cultural center
- Church of the Madonna del Ponte Vecchio: dominated by the majestic cliff, it dates back to 1557
- Parish Church: upstream Mazzini Square, it contains two seventeenth-century works of the painter of Cesena C. Serra.
- Cycling: the area of Mercato Saraceno is crossed from the path of the "Nove Colli", in the beautiful and challenging Linaro-Ciola-Mercato S.-Barbotto-Serra stretch, with villages perched on the cliffs
- By canoe or kayak: Location Montecastello (South of Mercato), area equipped with picnic and barbecue
- Natural watchings: in Monte Falcino, rapacious fly over charming gullies.